Family,
Well hello! I love email time because it means I get to talk to you! Yes!
First off, I didn't remember whether or not I explained why my last email was titled "Drinking Out of a Firehose." I realized I might not have told you and I've been stressing about it ever since! I titled it that because that's how the first couple days here at the MTC were like. I was trying to drink out of a firehose (figuratively of course) and all I could do was get as much water (information) as possible from everything I was being taught. Phew, glad I settled all that. I don't want you thinking the MTC has made me all weird, because it hasn't. Ok, on to the real stuff!
So I'm no longer labled the "new missionary" anymore! Yes! I've officially survived my first week and now I'm the big man here on campus. Ok well I'm probably not considered the "big man" here quite yet, I just like to think that I am :) I'm dying to get to Argentina already, but I still have 8 weeks! Ahh! The first week went by really quick, so then maybe the other 8 weeks will too. I know I'm no where near ready to be there yet, but still, I just want to be out of Provo and be somewhere new and exciting! It's weird here at the MTC because obviously it's in Provo, but I don't feel like I'm in Provo at all. The MTC just seems like it's its own city, state, country, etc. It's strange. I like it here though. I don't want to make it sound like I don't like it here, because I definitely do. I just want to be in Argentina more!
I'm learning so much here. It's crazy! I read so much everyday and I just feel like a scholarly champ. I know I'm not really, but maybe if I keep thinking I am, eventually I'll become one. My spanish is...well it's coming along. I have a lot to learn but I know that it will come with time. I'll come back in 2 years and sound like a native. That's the goal anyway!
Elder Hansen and I finished teaching our "investigator" Tomas and unfortunately we didn't end with a baptism :( We asked our teacher (Brother Litzenburger) about it and he said that as long as we made progress with him then we accomplished our goal. After all, it was our very first time ever teaching someone, AND it was in spanish. So I feel like we did pretty well.
Funny story real quick...we were teaching and Elder Hansen was going to ask if Tomas if he felt different around his girlfriend (who is a member) or his other friend that is a member. He was going to ask him and instead of asking if he felt different around his noviA (girlfriend), he accidently said noviO (boyfriend). I quickly corrected him and Tomas just said that he was going to pretend he said noviA. It made me chuckle and lightened the mood there in the lesson.
Speaking of Elder Hansen, he's awesome. We've become better friends the last week and I really love him. He's hardworking, obedient, and friendly. I really couldn't ask for a much better first companion!
An awesome experience I had this week was on Sunday night when we were watching a re-broadcast of Elder Holland's MTC devotional talk from 2006 called "Missions are Forever." MOST POWERFUL TALK EVER! It was the best talk ever. It was all about missionary work and why we're doing it and the impact that our missions have on us for the rest of our lives. If you can find it online somewhere I reccomend reading it and I sure wouldn't mind a copy :) One thing that he said that I really liked was when he explained why missions are hard. He said that "missions are hard because salvation is not a cheap experience." Wow right? Right then I realized why I'm really out here. I'm inviting people to Christ in order to obtain salvation. Pretty big responsibility that I have, but I am more than willing to accept. It's not that I didn't know why I was out here, but now I really know with no doubt at all. It was just incredible and just completely changed my attitude around. It's not like I was negative before, but the first couple days here were just crazy and an emotional rollercoaster and part of me was second guessing myself about coming on a mission. I have no doubts now. I know why I'm out here and I plan to serve with no regrets.
I'm trying really hard to develop a more personal relationship with Christ. I know Christ, but I don't REALLY know Him. I'm starting to read "Jesus the Christ" and I know I'll be able to strengthen my relationship with Him through that book. I've also been reading the Book of Mormon dilligently and really just diving into it. I've learned so much through the Book of Mormon. I was reading in Alma this week about Ammon and his mission to the Lamanites and it was really awesome because I'm on a mission now too and I could completely relate to him (well except for that he served for 14 years and I'll only be serving 2). I was able to make the scriptures really personal and it was a neat experience and I plan to do it with all scriptures I read now.
Well, my time's just about up. I love you all so much and can't wait to email you again next week! "Dear Elder" letters rock, so send them :) Write me friends! I love you all and would love to hear from you!
I love you family.
Working hard,
Elder Nilsen
Another awesome e-mail! It seems like Thomas is right here telling us all about his experiences and sharing his testimony. He is such a great writer! I am already looking forward to next week's :-) Thanks, Keri, for setting this up!
ReplyDelete