Thursday, January 26, 2012

Week #2 The MTC: Where Time is Warped

Family,
Well hello! I've survived another week here at the good ol' MTC! It's crazy how time works here at the MTC. It really is warped. It feels like these 2 weeks have gone by so fast, but then again at the same time they've felt like forever too. The saying definitely is true: days go by like weeks and weeks go by like days. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about time here because I want it to go by fast! I just want to be in Argentina! Only like 6 more weeks and 5 days. I'll make it!
So I'll just answer a few questions to start out here.
First off, the food here is EXACTLY like the Cannon Center at BYU. Except maybe it's a little worse. It's still not bad though. I'm proud to say that in the 2 weeks I have been here I have gained 0 lbs! Woo hoo! My goal actually is to lose 10 lbs. by the time I leave here, so I've made a goal to eat really healthy and drink just water. I'm going to control how much healthy food I eat too. I would defeat the purpose of eating healthy if I ate a bunch of healthy food, so portion control baby, portion control. I've been playing basketball pretty much every gym time we have, but I'm really going to try to start running instead. Gotta lose 10 lbs! Elder Hansen is a STUD at basketball, he just doesn't admit it. He gets every rebound I swear, and is a mean defender down low. I don't dare drive against him.
Speaking of Elder Hansen, we are still getting along super great. We have no problems at all really. Both our spanish skills are coming along nicely, so our lessons aren't so awkwardly silent anymore. The gift of tongues is legit! I find myself being able to speak more and more spanish everyday, so that's fantastic. I'll have all this confidence when I head to Argentina and then when I get there I'll just cry when I can't understand anyone. Can't wait! :)
I see Adam a lot actually. We're both in intermediate spanish classes so we're basically on the same schedule. I saw Michael at breakfast this morning!!! Best. Thing. Ever. I snuck up behind him and gave him a giant hug and just squeezed him for a solid 10 seconds. He turned around and was like, "THOMAS!!! I mean, ELDER NILSEN!!!" and he picked me up when he hugged me. He looked pretty fly with his new pair of glasses. I quickly became very jealous of him, however, because he told me that he is in the advanced spanish class and only has to be here for 3 weeks. Lucky duck. I'm so jealous of the people that are here for only 3 weeks. But yes, I saw Michael and it was the highlight of my time here at the MTC so far.
My district is pretty sweet. We've had a lot of changes in it this week because some Elders have been moved up to the advanced class. We're a really obedient district, and I think it's just a reflection of the District Leader :) Ok, just kidding. But all kidding aside we really are obedient and we're all really close. Elder Hernandez is from San Bernadino and he's a convert of 2 years. We also have Elder Beck from Farminton (doesn't know the Crowleys, but has heard of Josh before from school). We have Elder Weiler from Atlanta, Elder Lindsey from Highland, UT, Elder St. Martin from Mesa, Hermana Coleman from Layton (I think), Elder Jellen from Orem, Elder Gatherum from Logan, and then Elder Hansen from Mesa as well. It's a really fun district and I love all the guys (and the hermana too!).
So this past Sunday after the fireside, Elder Hansen and I decided to watch "The Testaments." I've seen it before, but this time it was just different. I couldn't hold back the tears when I watched it. When Christ appears to the people here in America...whoa man. I just got chills and started bawling. It made me think a lot about 2nd Coming when He comes again. I seriously cannot wait for that day. I can't even describe to you how excited I am. That's going to be the best day ever. It made me ask myself, "Thomas (Elder Nilsen, excuse me), are you ready for when Christ comes again?" It's a good question that we should always be asking ourselves. I know that I'm certainly not, and quite frankly, I don't know if I will ever feel completely ready, but I want to be as ready as I can possibly be. Oh man, I can't wait.
Also, it was perfect to watch that movie this week because in my scripture reading I just read through 3 Nephi when Christ comes. It was awesome to be able to see the movie and then read about it because I was able to have a perfect understanding of what it was really like. I really like in 3 Nephi 11:39 where it says that if we build on Christ's doctrine, hell can't prevail against us. It's so comforting to know that that's all we really have to do to be safe from the adversary. As long as our lives are centered/built upon Christ's doctrince and His teachings, we'll be protected from the devil. The devil is a sly dog, but if we just do what we know is right, then we'll be safe! I swear, everything I learn always comes back to my favorite scripture (D&C 6:36). If we look unto Christ in every thought, we have no reason to doubt or to fear. It's wonderful.
As I've been here at the MTC, it's been difficult to see my own growth. You guys tell me all the time in letters that you can see the growth that's occurred in me, but it's hard for ME to see that growth. I know that I'm changing, but it's hard to measure it I guess is what I'm trying to say. The thing that I've been really focusing on here at the MTC is to come unto Christ with a "full purpose of heart." I've read those words (full purpose of heart) in the scriptures so much lately, and that's just what I've been really trying to do. I've been trying to be more Christ-like in all my thoughts, words, and actions, and I guess if I really do stop for a second and think about it I can see that I've changed. I definitely have matured a lot, but more than that I think I've started to develop a more real, sincere relationship with Christ.
I love this church, and I love what I'm doing. I know that it's quite the sacrifice, and I miss you all SO MUCH. I know that what I'm doing is worth it though. I know it.
I love you all so much. I love you so much. I hope you all know that. Have a great week and I'll talk to you all next week!
I love you.
Working hard,
Elder Nilsen
P.S. Congrats to all the May Hall guys at BYU with your calls! That's sweet! I love you guys!

2 comments:

  1. I agree Alyssa :-) Now the problem I'm having is wondering if I should have something sweet sent to sweet Elder Nilsen??? I don't want to be the one that makes him put "on" weight? Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete