Monday, January 28, 2013

Week #54- Presidente

Hey Family :)

Well...there`s been a bit of a change with my mission. I`m no longer in Parque San Martin and I`m also no longer serving as district leader. As of now, there are 2 President Nilsens in our family because this little boy has been called to serve as a branch president in 25 de Mayo out in campo (the country)! Ah! Presidente Nilsen! Crazy!

More on that story to come...

First of all, the baptism of Luis and Ramona went super great! Derek didn`t end up baptizing them because he was a little nervous and because he was concerned that he wouldn`t be able to lift his parents in the water. It`s all good though because 2 different members performed the baptisms and it went SO well. Members showed up, there were refreshments, and there was lots of fellowshipping with both Luis and Ramona. Awesome baptismal service. I`m super confident that both Luis and Ramona (and Derek!) will be strong, faithful members in the Lord`s kingdom here on earth :)

So, the story about leaving Parque.

It was Saturday night and I had just put some clothes in the washer (bucket full of soap and water) when I came back into our study room and saw that I had a missed call from Elder Griggs the assistant. I called him back at 9:21 (yes, I remember the time exactly) and he told me he had big news for me but first he asked about the baptism. I said that it went well and that they`d get confirmed on Sunday and then asked what the news was. Looking back, I think I already knew what he was going to say because when he said `we need you in Ramos (where the offices of the mission are) tomorrow night at 8` I wasn`t surprised at all. I had been a little bit excited to leave Parque San Martin and get to a new area, but when I found out I was leaving I got really sad and almost started crying. That area had become my home! Those members all love me and I love all of them so much! I hung up and went and broke the news to Elder Viana, my stud companion who I miss already, and after telling him I just sat down on the ground and felt empty. It was a weird feeling.

The confirmations on Sunday went well (Ramona gave me and my companion the typical Argentina kiss on the cheek in front of the whole ward!) and all went smooth. I had a talk to give on and at the end of my short little talk I broke the news to the ward. It was sad to see all of their faces go from smiles to frowns, but I guess it`s just part of missionary life. Bummer. After church, lots of members told me goodbye and they told me I`d have to come back one day and I made the promise that I`d come back one day with my wife ;) Future wife (whoever you may be), we`re going to Argentina together one day! Woo! Both Luis and Ramona were bummed that I was leaving so soon and Ramona started crying and made tears come to my eyes as well. Later in the afternoon we passed by their house to say bye and as I sat in their house looking around I just felt the Spirit so strong. I felt like I really had done something really good for this family. All of the memories that I`d made in their home flashed by me and I just started crying as I sat there. It was a strange moment. I`ll miss that house a lot.

Well, we got to the offices and President was there waiting for me and tried to be funny by saying `what are you doing here? transfers aren`t for 2 more weeks!` I joked and told him that I wanted to make sure I was on time and then he grabbed me and pulled me into his office. I asked him for a hug and he told me to sit down and listen to where I was going and then we`d see if I still wanted to hug him. Oh boy. I sat down on the couch and he said `Elder Nilsen, I`m calling you to be the branch president out there in 25 de Mayo.` His words just drilled me. I immediately felt a HUGE responsibility on my shoulders. I`m totally up for it though!

I traveled out to campo this morning in the sweet mission truck and now I`m here with Elder Fernandez from Costa Rica. He`s the branch president right now and he`ll be training me for the next 2 weeks before he dies (dies means that he ends his mission, don`t worry). I don`t really know too much about what I`m doing yet, I don`t know much about my area yet, in fact I know practically nothing right now, but I`m ready to learn and to serve! Being branch president is a huge responsibility and I could really use your prayers more than ever before!

Although I don`t know what I`m doing, I know why I`m here. There`s a reason in all things, and I know that this will be a great opportunity to learn, grow, serve, and love like I never have before. Here we go! Woo!

I love you all so much!

Out in the middle of campo as a branch president,

Elder Nilsen

P.S. Don`t worry, I`m not gonna start signing my letters `president` :)









2 comments:

  1. That is beyond cool! 2 Presidentes in our family!! Wooohooo:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome missionary! That branch will be very blessed!

    ReplyDelete