Monday, June 3, 2013

Week #72 - Gotta Catch Em All!


Hey family!

Well...went armadillo hunting. What an experience! Let me fill you all in a bit...

Well actually, I just want to say that this is the most comfortable email sesh I´ve ever done on my mission. Wanna know why? Because I´m rocking my Argentina ´alpargatas´ here in the ciber cafe. They´re like Toms shoes, but Argentine style. Bought em like a year ago in Laferrere and usually only wear em in the pensh but didn´t feel like putting on church shoes yet today so...here I am.

That was off topic...




Armadillo hunting!

So we went with the Familia Casas (the family whose comp I used to talk to ya´ll on Mother´s Day) in their car driving through the middle of nowhere 25 de Mayo. Our area is HUGE! So to hunt armadillos you just drive in the car, looking into the huge open fields for movement. When you see one, you stop the car, get out, and chase after it! When you get close enough, you pounce on the sucker, get it in your hands, and turn it over (on their backs they can´t do anything). Super fun right? Right when we started we saw one and the Hermano Casas snagged it (he´s a champ). We kept on driving and weren´t seeing anything. Well...I wanted this to be an experience to remember so (may sound funny, but it worked!) I decided to say a prayer asking that I´d be able to see and catch a peludo (armadillo...direct translation is ´hairy´. I´m still trying to figure things out with what it´s really called because they do use the word ´armadillo´ but they also use ´peludo´ and they use ´mulita´ tambiĆ©n...so I´m a little confused, but anyway...). So after my prayer full of faith the Hermano thought he saw another one so he stopped the car and we got out and ran into the field to find...nothing. But instead of getting back in the car we decided to walk around in the field for a bit looking for one. Well...all of a sudden I saw a huge armadillo booking it to it´s hole! I took off after it but it beat me to it´s hole and he hid himself. Bummer. BUT! That was part 1 of my prayer answered -- I SAW an armadillo. Now I just needed to catch one. So we kept walking in the field and we kind of all separated in different directions looking for one when all of a sudden a little armadillo goes running right in front of me! Woo! I was so happy as I took off after it! I caught up to it and was ready to pounce on it but then I got super scared! At this point everyone saw that I was chasing after one and so I started screaming ´QUE HAGO QUE HAGO???´ (What do I do? What do I do?) It was super hilarious for everyone else, but I was super stressed! I didn´t want to lose this little guy (who I later named Carlitos :) ) After weighing my options (pounce on the sucker or lose him) I decided to just grab him! So...I did! Woo! Grabbed him and turned him over. Got him! Super fun! He was a little nervous and was pooping up a storm, but it´s all good. I´d probably poop myself too if some huge gringo grabbed me and turned me upside down :) 

You might be wondering what happens after you catch it...well. Let´s just say that little Carlitos had a similar taste of turkey. Yup. We ate him all up. Along with the fish that we caught when we went fishing after the armadillo hunting. Super fun and successful p-day! AND...I´ve officially got the Familia Casas calling me ´el cazador´ (the hunter!).

Guess who was my comp for pretty much the whole week?

Elder.....WILSON!

Woo hoo!

Him and Elder Fernandez came to our area this week to give us a little boost and to teach us a few new little things that they were teaching the zone about finding new investigators through a reactivation program called ´Rescue 10´. Basically...Elder Wilson rocks. I always see so many miracles and blessings with him and I love him so much. I want to thank all of you for your prayers and for your fasting this past week for us to be able to find new investigators. I want each and every one of you to know that the Lord most definitely heard you. He blessed us to be able to find 24 new investigators this week! The most I´ve ever found in one week on my mission! It was incredible to see the Lord´s hand in the work this past week. I know that He is in charge of it all and that if we put forth our best effort, He´ll assist us in His work. We´re not alone. That´s for sure. 

I won´t go into specifics about any of the news we found this week because I don´t have a ton of time, but next week I´ll be able to narrow things down to some of those that are progressing and I´ll give you updates on them...deal? Awesome.

The only bummer about this last week is that not one of the 24 news we found chose to come to church. We taught them well, commited them boldly to come to church on Sunday(many said they´d go), and then...nothing. Yesterday at church I felt something that I hadn´t felt for a while. I just felt so sad that they chose not to come to church. I felt like I had truly put forth my best effort, but then they didn´t show up. I´m surprisingly not too discouraged though. I know I did my best, and that´s all that can be expected. I´ll do my very best again this week and I know that the blessings will come. In my life and in the lives of others. Obedience and diligence have their rewards. Not always on our timetable, but they do come. They´ll be coming very soon if we keep up what we started this past week. It was a blessing to be able to work so hard. When I was working I didn´t even have time to think about how much I missed home because I was so busy. Last week was the fastest week of my mission for sure and I know it´s because I was dedicated to what I´ve been called to do. Called by a prophet to rescue all of the Lord´s children.

So...what do we learn?

I´m not a huge pokemon fan anymore (even though I used to collect the cards!) but I´ll just say that I´m ´catchin´ em´ all!´ here in 25 de Mayo. Catchin´ God´s children that have gone astray or those who have never even tasted of the beauty of the gospel. Gotta bring them into the truth. Gotta bring them to the light. Let´s do it.

I love you all so much. Do me a favor and share the gospel with someone this week. Do it and you´ll be surprised at what happens. Let me know how it goes :)

I love you all so much!

Catchin´ em all,

Elder Nilsen

No comments:

Post a Comment