Monday, June 10, 2013

Week #73 - It's a Family Affair


Hey family :)

This past week was a week full of learning, growth, and patience. Oh wait...that`s how every week here in the mission is! But seriously...I feel like I`ve grown a lot this past week, learning a lot about myself and being able to see the personal growth that`s occured in my mission/life. What a blessing it is to be here serving! It`s hard, but oh so worth it! I love the quote: ``The hard is what makes it so great.`` The mission is just like life...ups, downs, unexpected turns. The most important thing is to just `keep on keepin` on!` (Thanks Uncle Dave!)


The reason I feel like I learned a lot of patience this past week is because me and Elder Ticino had a few issues in our companionship that we had to work out. Nothing huge or anything, we`ve just been together for a while now so sometimes we bug each other. We resolve issues as quick as we can though because we can`t teach without the Spirit and the Spirit ain`t gonna be with us (whoa...weird southern accent there for a second) if we`re not getting along. I love Elder Ticino so much! It`s jus that Elder Ticino sometimes gets distracted or starts acting a little immature and I`ve tried real hard to serve Elder Ticino. Serve him by keeping him focused. Service is a true expression of love! I think sometimes my service and loving correction with Elder Ticino sometimes bug him, so I`ve had to learn how to best get to Elder Ticino without bugging him or making him angry. I`ve discovered that it`s just through loving encouragment and small acts of service that I can best encourage Elder Ticinito. He doesn`t ever express his gratitude, but that`s not why I serve him, so it`s all good! Love him! That`s all you can do. Looking forward to working with him for what could be our last week together.

So.. we`ve discovered this past week that many of our 24 new investigators we found last week haven`t been as super prepared for the gospel as we originally thought. It`s ok though! While we haven`t been able to work with and progress every  one of those 24, we have been able to work with and teach some. Let me fill you in.


Yesica is a 26 year old lady that Elder Wilson and I had found. She lives with her uncle and another friend and the house is full of crazy kids running all over the place. Distractions galore! Yesica has a baptismal date set for the 29th of this month, but it`s possible that she moves out of 25 de Mayo before then. We`re really hoping she stays. She came to church yesterday and I think she liked it. I don`t get to interact with investigators as much as I`d like to at church because of everything I have to do, but what are you gonna do? Let the Spirit teach and testify of course! To help her feel the Spirit more in lessons we`ve planned to have a noche de hogar (FHE) with her tonight in the house of a member! Should go pretty well! Pray for her!

We are also working with a juntado (not married) couple named Juan Carlos y Mabel. Elder Ticino and Elder Fernandez had found them and they`re really nice! They`re smart, understand the gospel, and we just gotta work with them to get them over their doubts with Joseph Smith and with coming to church. Well...and get them married too. All things are possible though! We can do it!

This work is so demanding guys. I thank you SO very much for your prayers. They are felt way down here. I`m far away, but oh so close. I was listening to conference talks this past week and was listening to President Monson`s talk from Priesthood and this caught my attention:

Young men, I hope you appreciate the sacrifices which your parents so willingly make in order for you to serve. Their labors will sustain you, their faith encourage you, their prayers uphold you. A mission is a family affair. Though the expanse of continents or oceans may separate, hearts are as one.

I really loved that. I`ve never been farther from you all, but I`ve never felt closer. Thank you for all that you`ve ever done, all that you still do, and all that you will always do for me. I can`t really fully express my love and gratitude through words, but I hope (like always) that it can be felt.

This church is true. This is the work of salvation. If you haven`t participated yet, hop on in. There`s room for everyone. Friends and family, next week I would LOVE to hear about missionary experiences that you have in this next week. Share the joy you feel. I promise it`ll be worth any sacrifice you have to make :)

I love you all so much!

Working hard in this family affair,

Elder Nilsen

No comments:

Post a Comment